[pct-l] Attitudes and Tone on the PCT-L

> Newcomers are being driven off by the argumentive, accusatory,
> condescending responses to legitimate questions, and do not want to ask
> their questions for fear of being ridiculed.

That's truly unfortunate.  I'm sure most of us can remember how many
questions we had and how excited we were when we were planning our first
hike on the PCT.  It's sad to think people who are experiencing that for
the first time wouldn't find this a welcoming place to share their
excitement and seek advice.

Now, if you think this list has gotten bad, try trailforums!
Great-grandfathers-giant-spatula, some people on there are downright
nasty.

> Thank goodness that the hikers themselves, while they're out on the trail,
> don't come off the way the list posters do.  We'd quit hosting in no time
> flat if they did.

Hiking brings people together and brings out their best.  The internet
makes people anonymous, brings out the worst.  I, personally, have caught
myself saying things online that I would NEVER say to someone in person.
It's just something about the medium.  Everybody wants to have the last
word and put someone in their place.  Uhg.  You can see this behavior in
any forum, trail related or not.  I'm always disturbed when I find I've
sliped and acted similarly myself.

IMHO, I think the best way we can combat this type of negativity when we
encounter it is to ignore it and take the thread in a positive direction.
Try to make sure that when someone asks a question there's enough positive
answers to drown out any of the nasty responses.

Hmmm, or, maybe there's another way?

Personally, if I was acting like an ass-helmet on here (ahem, again), the
threat of being black-listed at the Saufley's would be enough to set me
straight.

She's reading the list, she's checking it twice, no rest at the Saufleys,
unless you've been nice ...

Paul

- nine out of ten Americans poop sinkers

P.S.  L-Rod, you spelled "argumentative" wrong.  Doh!!!!