[pct-l] Re: Flagging the trail and Umbrellas

Hi Folks,
  When Ralph and I were near Devil's Slide in mid-May,
we saw several "flags" (hot pink plastic strips)
indicating the way down to Idyllwild. Through
surprising, and somewhat overdone, they did not ruin
my wilderness experience. Most of us drop into towns
along the PCT -- pick up drop boxes, etc. That's a
temporary "dip" in the wilderness experience, but I
imagine enjoyed by most. So I don't see a problem with
TEMPORARY flagging of the trail -- or safe passage --
through certain areas in extreme situations.
  Also wanted to put in my two cents about umbrellas.
Ralph and I have used ours (his is GoLite, mine is a
no-name) extensively in Spain and France on the Camino
for sun and rain/snow. We've had less need on the
sections of the PCT, but on our recent Section B
(desert heat), they were useful. They are
problematical in windy situations, but ours have
served us well for more than four years. I think they
are well worth the few additional ounces they add and
they slip easily into our backpacks' side pockets when
not in use.Happy trails,
Susan Alcorn

Shepherd Canyon Books
Publishers of "We're in the Mountains Not over the Hill--Tales and Tips from Seasoned Women Backpackers"  More info at: www.backpack45.com