Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2005 15:57:28 EDT
From: Bighummel@aol.com
Subject: Re: [pct-l] Lost Hiker
To: jeffmoorehead1@cox.net, pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net

jeffmoorehead1@cox.net writes:
Maybe it is time to start a discusiion/data series concerning
the southern ranges and not just limit the prognosticating to the
Sierra.

Tying trail marking ribbons high on trees and establishing a Sth Calif.
mountain snow conditions discussion/data collection/reporting website or
such . . .
would all be fine if these were common conditions, however, as Donna
pointed
out, these are not common conditions at all, but abhorations of
conditions
once in every ten, twenty or perhaps even 100 year occurances.

Reports on the snow conditions in the San Gabriel, San Bernardino and
San
Jacinto mountains are already available if you look deep enough into the
web.
Yep, they might not be specific to the PCT but they are to general
conditions.

If conditions warrant in the mountains of Sth Calif. and/or the Sierra,
simply start later or consider a SoBo hike instead.  Hikers simply
should not
attempt to travel in snow conditions unless experienced and equipped.
Ultra-light
does not compute in snow conditions, for the most part.

Whether any of this has contributed to the recent missing hiker
situation is
yet to be seen.  It may turn out that circumstances not yet considered
may be
at work.

IMHO,

Greg