[pct-l] Why Hike?

I've asked myself that question too. I know there will be pain,
discomfort, sleepless nights for some days on the trail, a bit of
loneliness, but all that just doesn't seem important enough to keep me
off the trail.  I think about the trail a lot. I have the screen saver
on this computer set to randomly bring up images from a file of trail
pictures. I drop everything to read these posts, and respond to a few.
I know I'll just have to work later tonight.
Health. I've collected damage over the years that has slowed me down,
and it gets harder and takes longer to heal back up again.   But I hike
because this body was meant to move. Walking far suits me just fine.
Solitude. I need to interact with a few people, but crowds get on my
nerves. Sure, I like a game, a performance, a good restaurant, but I
also like a retreat to peace and quiet too. More of the latter I guess.
Beauty. I appreciate a fine work of art, a complex musical arrangement,
the craft of good writing.  I think I appreciate the random beauty of
shadows racing over the Minarets, the rumble of river falls in the
night, the story of animal tracks in the mud around a spring just as
much. Which do I prefer? That's hard do qualify. They're apples and
oranges. Both kinds take effort of one kind or another to experience
and appreciate.
Simplicity. On the trail, living is a very simple routine. Walk, pick a
stopping place. Find water. Make shelter. Eat. Sleep. Wake and eat,
anticipate more walking, when to stop, what is ahead, where to find
water, shelter, where to sleep. Keep an eye on the weather, monitor my
health, watch the scenery roll by. That's it.
Challenge. I can walk ten or twenty miles because it needs to be done
if I want the rewards above. I do. The challenge is to keep going,
ignoring the discomfort, overcoming the obstacles. I know I can do the
tedious part of walking 2,600 miles. The discomfort will pass, if I
have the determination to overcome it.