[pct-l] John Muir Trail starting June 20th

great advice.  like I said, the closest year to this year in terms of
snow levels was 1998.  if you look on the page of hisorical opening
dates for Tioga Road on the page to which sabina provided a link, you
will see that in 1998 the road opened on July 1.  It is my
understanding that this year is even a heavier snowfall than in 1998.
Earlier this year it was said that there has not been a heavier snow
year since 1916.  I am not sure if this changed because there was not
much snow between feb and april, but it should give you a good idea of
what you will be dealing with.

also, notice the photos on that page with 15' of snow.  those photos
were taken only 3 weeks ago, and were taken near Crane Flat, which is
significantly lower than ALOT of the JMT.  Its fairly obvious that no
matter what happens, the snow will be a huge factor on your hike if you
leave June 20.  If you decide to go ahead and hike, know what you are
up against.  Don't just sit back and say "It can't be that bad"
or "there will be 3 more weeks of melting".  None of that matters; it
will be a **serious** impediment.

peace,
dude