[pct-l] North Cascades 55m. detour

I would love to know more information about the detour. The PCT Oregon/Washington guide book says, and the Data book repeats that his section should only be attempted by those with:  "a high degree
of backcountry skill level."
Could someone explain to me why it is so different?  What skills would be needed on the detour that wouldn't also be needed on the PCT in general?
	One final question:  how many miles of the PCT itself are replaced by the detour?  The detour adds 55 m. but is that the total addition or can one subtract from that the replaced parts of the PCT to
find out what the total distance will be from Stevens Pass to Stehekin, using the d etour?
	Has anyone taken this detour?  What 's the scoop?
										thanks, Geoffrey (Philadelphia)