I didn't descend all the way to Granite Pass, but, even though I could see some snow drifts, most of it is clear. And, visually, I could see that the trail all the way to Methow Pass was clear.

I saw enough on the hike, that I do not plan to bring an ice ax with me SOBO from Manning. I have learned that shortening a trekking pole all the way and removing the basket, allows me to jam the shaft into the snow just like an ice ax shaft and, assumming your hand is close to where the shaft enters the snow, it is strong enough to hold you if you slip. In mountaineering terms, this is called a "self belay". A self arrest with an ice ax(assuming you have practiced enough that you could perform one instantly) probaly wouldn't help a lot in this type of snow (except for early morning when it is uniformly hard). Using a self belay with ice ax or pole is what will protect you. Make sure you collapse your pole to its shortest length and that you have practiced removing the basket (before your trip). It also helps if your footwear is stiffer than running shoes so that you can more easily kick/stomp steps in the snow.

Hopefully the other SOBOers who are starting soon will find this information useful. Take your ice ax if you want, but I think you can manage fine without it.

-OspreyFrom terry.norton at gmail.com  Sun Jun  5 09:13:24 2005
From: terry.norton at gmail.com (Terry Norton)
Date: Sun Jun  5 10:14:16 2005
Subject: [pct-l] Mark those camera flash cards!

Hi All,

Please excuse this "Hiking Public Service Announcement."

This week when wandering through a recently melted-out area above
treeline, I found a small case with a few digital camera flash cards.

There was no name or address on the cards!  I borrowed a card reader
and found photos last year on what appears to be a family trek from
California to at least Colorado.

This served as a reminder to me:  Put a name and at least a phone
number on my flash cards!  Most CompactFlash cards have an area for
this. (I don't know about other media.)  Use a sharpie and write a
phone number on it.

(FYI: I posted a "found" notice on Craiglist boards across the west.
Unfortunately, I think this was a european family.)

cheers,
terry