[pct-l] Oregon questions

Good evening, Mike,

I can't tell you much about camping at Crater Lake because when I hiked
through there I didn't go up to the rim, I stayed on the designated tread
west of the lake.  Yeh, I know, NOBODY does that unless they are riding a
horse.  Well, I did because I've visited Crater Lake dozens of times, and
I wanted to hike the entire official trail.  And yes, I also stayed on the
designated trail south of Cascade Locks rather than taking Eagle Creek.  In
Crater Lake NP I camped at Red Cone Springs, northwest of the rim.

>From where the designated PCT crosses the road north of the rim, it is 16
miles to Thielsen Creek.  That stretch is very dry, but it is mostly flat so
you can make good time.  Thielsen Creek would be a good place to camp.
North from Thielsen Creek it's less than 10 miles to a trail junction to
Maidu lake 0.75 miles NW.  The old Oregon Skyline Trail passed Maidu, but
the PCT realignment stayed up on the ridge.  The old trail passes the lake
and
rejoins the PCT in about 1.5 miles, but I've not been on it.

If you want to continue from Maidu, it is another 11.5 miles to Windigo Pass
where a local recreation road crosses.  Campers and fishermen drive that
road
so it may be possible to yogi some water from them.  If not, the two Windigo
Lakes are only 0.5 miles NW of the pass.  You can get water there if you are
short or want to camp.

>From there it's a little over 10 miles to Summit Lake.  Once you get there
water is generally abundant or at least reasonable all the way to the
Columbia River.

I had guidebook pages with me, but I didn't us them.  I used the three USFS
PCT series maps.

Steel-Eye