[pct-l] Feedback on tarptents

We can recommend the Squall II which we (Marmot and Trail Dog) used last
month section hiking from the kickoff to the Tehachapi Pass.

What we participlarly liked was the stability when used with two walking
poles.  It is a strong stable tent in high winds.  We liked the roominess,
stability and strength in high winds.  After substituting larger light
weight aluminum alloy tent pegs, we had no problems with the tarptent in
wind gusts of 40-60 knots.

It also was good in rain storms when the top beak was left open with the
front vestibule deployed.  This reduced condensation that is usually a
problem with single surface tents.

Previously we have used a Jardine ultralite tarp which we enjoyed in low
wind, no rain situations.

Marmot