[pct-l] Getting Into Trouble on the Trail

>> The issue with going ultra-light (and possibly under-experienced) is what
I coin as "incremental circumstances lead to incremental stupidity or
ignorance", i.e. one poor decision upon facing a certain circumstance may
not end up causing you any harm, however, when followed by another poor
decision upon facing an additional circumstance and then another, may end
you up in a position which you are not prepared for nor experienced with and
from which just being able to walk 30 miles in one day with a 12 pound pack
wont necessarily get you out of.<<

To John Mertes, Greg Hummel or anyone else worried about the dangers of
ultralight.

There is zero empirical data linking pack weight to hiker safety. Still we
continue to harp on the arcane notion that there's an inherent danger in
carrying a lighter pack.

There is a danger in traveling in remote areas mentally unprepared to deal
with conditions encountered. When one examines cases where people have been
found dead from hypothermia wearing cotton clothing, it is generally poor
decision making that leads to their death. While a choice of clothing may
hasten death, it is rarely the root cause.

This medium is a fantastic form a communication for transmitting lots of
ideas, however, it's a difficult medium for teaching people how to be
prepared for what dangers, real or imagined, that may lay before them on a
thru-hike.

Those who go about associating increased personal risk with reduced pack
weight are not providing any meaningful information either. Such talk simply
scares people into making decisions that may or may not be beneficial for
their comfort or safety.

There will always be people who venture out on the trails and die. It's sad
and while primarily avoidable with proper knowledge, people will continue
dying in these situations as long as man roams the earth.

Personally I'll fight for the right to do dumb things even if my decisions
kill me. The only other option is building lots of rubber rooms.

Fallingwater