[pct-l] re: sleeping bag loft

We got inexpensive ($100) down bags in 1993 for summer use.  We have put
about 1000 nights on them since then.  We usually zip them all the way
open, zip the two together in the middle and throw the whole lot over us
as a giant quilt.  They have served us well in a tent at 25 degrees
overnight (high sierras July and August, San Bdno's spring and fall)
Last year we sensed that they were not as warm as they once had been.
So we bought 6 ounces of 800 fill down from an online supplier
(thru-hiker.com) and fortified our bags in the midsection.  That is, we
opened up the 4 draft tubes that cross the chest and belly area and
filled each bag with 3 more ounces in those sections. We did it with a
"wet-the-down" system we devised to avoid wasting any down.  We were
really happy with the results.  We feel like our bags have been restored
to new condition.  The total cost was about $50.
So you don't necessarily have to start over with new bags if you feel
your bag is getting tired.  This project was done in less than a day.
llamalady