[pct-l] Sleeping Bag Compression

I've slept in my down "hummingbird" sleeping bag now at least 600 and
possibly 800 nights.  If i lost 2% every time, my bag would be on it's 16th
life now.   I can't imagine where you heard that the bag disintegrates.
Perhaps from a bag manufacturer trying to sell synthetic bags??    Although
i can't say my bag is the same size as when it was new, every time i wash it
(about twice a year and i've had the bag for 11 years now) it bounces back
to a nice fluffy bag again.   I think there's a problem with buying a
dryloft shelled bag as it won't dry out as fast as a lightweight breathable
shell.   I have 4 down bags (no synthetics) for different situations
(himalayas, winter usa, or cold spring/fall, or summer)  and 3 of them are
lightweight shells and seem to dry out a lot faster than the one dryloft bag
i have.    Of course, on the PCT, the drying out is not a problem like it is
in Nepal or East coast hiking, (or southeast asia).     I have a good
tent/tarp system and have never gotten my bag wet.  ( i think if i had a
synthetic bag, i wouldn't want to get it wet either).    My "Hummingbird"
(the one i use 80% of the time) compresses down to the size of a loaf of
bread, yet fluffs up enough to keep me warm down to the 25 degrees
comfortably.   anyway, that's my 2 cents on this one.   fh

&lt;rmoak@sixmoondesigns.com&gt;<br>&gt;To:
&lt;pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net&gt;<br>&gt;Subject: RE: [pct-l] Sleeping
&gt;&gt; I also read somewhere that overtime you compress a sleeping bag in
the<br>&gt;normal way in your pack, you lose 2-3% of its loft permanently.
You slowly<br>&gt;crush the life out it.  I do not know if that is true, but
some of the bags<br>&gt;I see on the trail make me think it is close to
true.  &lt;&lt;<br>&gt;<br>&gt;I'm sure everything looses some loft from
compression over time. However, I<br>&gt;doubt there are any measurement
instruments capable of measuring a 2 to 3%<br>&gt;loft reduction. Even if
it's true, the loss would translate to less than 2<br>&gt;degree loss of
comfort.<br>&gt;<br>&gt;Most down bag loft is lost via body oils or moisture
in the bag. Generally a<br>&gt;thorough professional cleaning will restore a
down bag to its original loft.<br>&gt;My down bag is going on 6 years and
has been cleaned several times. It's<br>&gt;still as good as the day it
arrived.<br>&gt;<br>&gt;Synthetic bags loose about 10 degrees of comfort due
to compression within a<br>&gt;short period of use. After a couple seasons
I were hiking in a potentially wet environment, I would
certainly<br>&gt;consider a synthetic bag.  I really like down.  I might be
wrong here, but I<br>&gt;prefer 800 down bags to 900 down bags.  Your bag
has to be tied to your<br>&gt;metabolism and the environment.  For years I
have been trying to eliminate<br>&gt;my sleeping bag and substitute a
clothing option. &lt;&lt;<br>&gt;<br>&gt;When looking at a sleeping bag it's
important to look at the whole bag and<br>&gt;not just the insulation.
Comparing forms of insulation without discussing<br>&gt;the rest of the
materials used in the bag is frankly worthless. Down bag can<br>&gt;be
useless if the shell is made from the wrong materials. But then
the<br>&gt;problem is with the shell and not the
insulation.<br>&gt;<br>&gt;With all bags, (down or synthetic) the goal is to
keep the insulation dry.<br>&gt;Wet synthetic material may retain some heat
but I wouldn't count on any wet<br>&gt;bag keeping me alive if conditions go