[pct-l] Lost Hiker

I could not agree more with Greg.

Know your limitations. Be prepared to turn around and retreat or find an
alternate route if your inner voice tells you something is wrong.  It does
not make you any less a man or woman, and it could keep you alive and your
loved ones at home happy. The mountain and/or trail is not going anywhere;
it will be there for another try later. Fear is a survival tool; use it.

None of us were borne with hiking skills; we all learned them over the
course of years of study in the School of Hard Knocks. One of those lessons
was (or should have been) pre-planning. That includes researching weather,
trail conditions, routing, emergency bail-out points and  alternate routes
BEFORE YOU GO.

Unless you are very comfortable (and truly competent) with route-finding
across miles of unmarked or buried trail using maps and a compass, STAY ON
THE TRAIL. If weather or terrain conditions warrant, GO IN A GROUP, not
alone. If visibilty drops to near zero, STOP, make camp until it clears.
Even Daniel Boone can be in the wrong spot at the right time and then it's
really nice to have someone there to help you out of whatever situation
you're in, or to go for help.

Catch a clue - use your common sense, folks. That's the wilderness out
there - not the city park. If it's really nasty or dangerous, just how many
other fools do you think might be out there besides you?

Wandering Bob