[pct-l] Lost Hiker

Backing up what Donna said about the So Cal ranges, they should not be
considered an 'automatic crossing', especially given the conditions
experienced this year. Also, there is still much snow to melt off and that
will inflate the creek water levels, making crossings much more dangerous. I
remember that the Postholer administrator was looking for data sources for
snow levels in the southern coast ranges but I never really heard anything
else about it. Maybe it is time to start a discusiion/data series concerning
the southern ranges and not just limit the prognosticating to the Sierra. I
am not sure whether the current tragedy is related to the snow conditions,
but I know a few hikers have given up and a few have got lost. This appeared
to be due to the unanticipated difficulties of very high seasonal snow
levels.