[pct-l] and so it starts

In 1986 I was on a helicopter field course looking at structural geology up
the Rocky Mountains put on by my employer,  Amoco.  One morning we flew out of
the Raquet Club in Jackson Hole and landed on top of a 13,000'+ peak in a
portion of the wilderness area to the south.  It felt very strange to me and
several of the other geologists who had climbed and backpacked to so easily get to
the top of such a gorgeous mountain.

As we stood there the senior geologist explained the scene in front of us,
pointing out that we were at the northern edge of the overthrust belt and that
about 400 to 500 billion cubic feet of natural gas might be trapped there, in
this incredible alpine environment.

He noted that from him to the senior management in Amoco, the shared opinion
that this was a "line in the environmental sand" across which Amoco would not
step, but noted that under higher resource values in the future there might be
technology developed that could extract the gas from remote sites without
ruining the environment that we gazed upon.

I thought that I would share this just for perspective.  No judgements.  We
all value the resource in beauty.  Some more than others.

IMHO, YMMV, HYOH,

Greg Hummel