[pct-l] SOBO and ice axes

Hello,
    My son is planning to start a thru hike around June 15th from Manning. Can anyone who is already doing this give me an idea on when and where I should send his ice axe? I thought that last  week someone said there was NO deep snow up to Stehekin (is this true?) Where does the snow (where you would need an ice axe) start? and end? I am wondering just how far he needs to carry it, and then I would like to know when he will need it again... Any help on this problem would be appreciated!!!
Thanks,
Mimi