[pct-l] Re: Looking for southbounder

Mary Beth/Seaweed Sally,

This is just my opinion, so take it as that, but I think he grossly
overestimated how long it would take to get to Stehekin.  The distance
from Manning to Stehekin is ~90 miles PLUS a ~10 mi shuttle ride to the
resort.  I have heard rumors that the shuttle is not even running due
to road wash outs (does anyone know if this is true?) and if that is
true it is a ~100 mile walk.  Only the fastest hikers can cover 33
miles a day for 3 days straight and that is in really good conditions.
According to Terri's recent snow report, right now the trail above
~6000 ft from Cutthroat pass and likely north is under snow (which is
the first 65 miles of that section from Manning).  Even if he made it
in three days the post office is only open limited hours and he would
have missed it yesterday which means he would be picking up packages
today.  I am willing to bet it will take him at least 4 days to get to
Stehekin (that is still 25 miles/day in several feet of snow, which
would be impressive.....at least I would be impressed).  You could
check with the post office again tomorrow and see if he picked up his
boxes.

I really wouldn't worry about him until Friday or Saturday.  Hopefully
he brought enough food for the longer journey.... and an ice axe.

I won't be up there until the 15th as I am hiking out sections further
south before then, but there should be at least one person going up
there in the next few days, so hopefully someone will see him or his
signature.

Hope that helps,
Mara
Mara Jeffress