[pct-l] Sandals

No doubt about it on the pebbles in sandals.  But with the toe guard on the
Bite sandals you do not have a lot of problems.  I kick the pebbles out against
rocks or trees.  When you come across a part of the trail that you might
think is going to cause debris problems, then walk a little more flatfooted.  I do
this after stream crossings too.

By the way, it is really neat to see everyone sitting or standing around just
before a stream considering when to cross.  Some folks may be taking their
footwear off.  You come along in your sandals and don't even break stride as you
say a quick hello and splash on through the stream to the other side and keep
going.  Everyone is looking at you as you head up the trail and you act like
nothing has happen.  On of the great moments in backpacking for you.  I did
this recently between Lake Morena and Boulder Oaks Campground on the PCT. :-)

Your sandals and socks will dry out very quickly on the trail.  Just walk
flat footed for a while, so you do not kick up a lot of dirt.  Of course, you
should really stop before the stream and take off your socks and put them on
again on the other side, but that is not nearly as much fun in harassing other
hikers.

At rest stops you should take the sandals and socks off to shake them out and
let your feet relax.  My problem is that I don't stop that often.  I walk
very slow due to leg soreness, so I just plug along hour after hour.  Everyone
passes me and elbows me out of the way -- the very young and the very elderly --
payback time for the stream crossing episode.

Happy trails, Switchback