[pct-l] Sobo's - Manning transportation and stealth camping

Hi Roni

> I have just checked the Greyhound\Canada site and discovered that though
> there are three daily busses from Vancouver to Manning on June 15th, they
> are all scheduled very very badly.  The bus leaves Vancouver very early in
> the morning or very late at night (one o is a midnight bus that would drop
> us in the convenient time of 3 A.M. in Manning).

I've checked www.greyhound.ca and found the following:

Vancouver (BC) to Manning Park (BC)

Departure Schedule for Wednesday, June 15, 2005
Departs 	Arrives 	Duration
12:10am 	03:07am 	2h, 57m
06:15am 	10:10am 	3h, 55m
06:45am 	10:10am 	3h, 25m
05:00pm 	09:25pm 	4h, 25m
06:00pm 	09:25pm 	3h, 25m

Also, Vancouver to Hope.  Hope is very close to Manning and would probably
prove an easy hitch or even a reasonably affordable cab ride.

Departure Schedule for Wednesday, June 15, 2005
Departs  	Arrives  	Duration
06:15am 	09:20am 	3h, 5m
06:30am 	09:00am 	2h, 30m
06:30am 	09:00am 	2h, 30m
06:45am 	09:00am 	2h, 15m
08:00am 	10:35am 	2h, 35m
01:45pm 	04:45pm 	3h, 0m
05:00pm 	08:30pm 	3h, 30m
05:45pm 	08:50pm 	3h, 5m
06:00pm 	08:30pm 	2h, 30m
06:45pm 	09:00pm 	2h, 15m

Notice that some of these times match the manning bus times above.  It's
the same bus route from Vancouver to Hope, where the routes then split.

> Is there any point in checking about bus schedules to other towns in B.C.

Hope is 26km from Manning Park and the most frequent greyhound bus stop
out of Vancouver.  Incidentally, hope will have grocery stores if you need
supplies to start your hike.  Hope is small, not densely populated and it
would be easy to find a place to stealth camp even within city limits.

Incidentally, Hope is where they filmed "First Blood."  They actually had
to build most of what you see in the movie as the downtown core because
hope didn't really have one.

> from where we can hitch to Manning in a more reasonable time. How
> hitchable is southern B.C.?

Hitching around Hope is not too bad.  A clear sign saying "MANNING PARK"
will help.  I wouldn't worry about having to wait too long to get a ride.

Another suggestion:

http://www.trailsbc.ca/southwest_region/hope.asp
http://srmwww.gov.bc.ca/rmd/trancan/images/bcroute.gif

You "could" walk from Vancouver to Manning park to start your hike.  The
trail still has many road sections but once you're out of town a bit it is
supposed to be very nice around Chilliwack and on to Hope and Manning
park.

I am trying to find a route to confirm, but I'm pretty sure there are
trails from Hope to Manning park.  I'll get back to you if I can find one
for sure.

> If John and I have to take the late bus and arrive at Manning after
> darkness, how easy would it be for us to find somewhere near the bus stop
> to stealth camp for a few hours? (I can camp pretty much evrywhere with my
> hammock but John, being a ground dweller needs flat ground).  Any
> suggestion for STEALTHcamp sites in that area?

I can't confirm, but I suspect you could find a spot without too much
difficulty.  I don't think you'll need to arrive after dark though.

Cheers!
Toes