[pct-l] Ashland to Crater Lake

Has anybody been out on the trail between Ashland and Crater Lake yet or even continuing on northward?  We're wondering what the snow levels are like up there.

According to the Klamath NFS south of Ashland to Castle Crags it'll be mid to late July before the trail is snow free.  Their May 1 snow survey showed of the 5 points they measured within 1/2 mile of the trail 4 are running above normal snow height.  Only one spot near Etna Summit is below normal.  They're recommending you plan for the worse if you want to hike this section before July.

On the other hand, the SNOTEL reports north of Ashland make it look like there's just a bit left right around Crater Lake and we do know that the Crater Lake rim road is already plowed from Rim Village to Discovery Point and the P.O. at the store is open (M-F 10 - 2).  So we're wondering if that translates to a trail that is essentially snow free already.

Caryl

Discover Yahoo!