[pct-l] Pacific Crest defined?

I think "crest" suggests the highest ridgeline of the mountains along
the Pacific ranges. The PCT also tries (from what I can see on a map) to
route itself along the most contiguous wilderness/public land as
possible.

I've been studying maps from Morena Res, westward, to see if there are
existing trails that could be linked up to reach the very first costal
hill/mountain ranges. Form the topos I've seen, there isn't any that
conveniently get past the 8 freeway. But that doesn't necessarily mean
that none exist...even the USGS 7.5' topos are notorious for not
indicating all trails, and the area between Tecate and Alpine in
crisscrossed with trails used by illegal immigrants.

I would not espouse an idea to cut new trails, as the whole idea of an
alternate route would be to reduce the impact on the primary PCT from
Morena to Agua Dulce. Cutting new trails would be an even greater
environmental impact, just in a different location.

I'm playing with the idea of day hiking between Morena and Alpine to see
what trails actually exist. If anyone is familiar with the area and it's
trail, I'd be interested in talking to them.

Once a trail link can be found between Morena and Vista, the coastal
range of hills and mountains is relatively open, undeveloped land
stretching to Diamond Bar. I have no idea how much is public. I suspect
very little between Vista and Murrieta. Arrangements would need to be
made with landowners as well as public agencies to allow property access
and overnight camping.

Michael Saenz, Associate Partner
McLarand    Vasquez    Emsiek   &   Partners,   Inc.
A r c h i t e c t u r e  |  P l a n n i n g  |  I n t e r i o r s
MVE       MVE    Institutional       MVP    International
w  w  w   .   m  v  e   -   a  r  c  h  i  t  e  c  t  s   .   c  o m