[pct-l] San Gabriels in June: Wrightwood to Acton. Conditions?

On 4/26/05, John Zondlo <jzondlo@yahoo.com> wrote:

> My son and I are planning a week on the PCT starting on May 27 from Wrightwood to Acton.  The FAQ and trip planner resources on the PCTA web site have been very helpful.  However, a couple of specific questions:
>
> -  What temperature range should we expect in the San Gabriels in early June?

Possible? 20 - 90. Likely? Shave 15-20 degrees off each end of that range.

> - Would you recommend a full tent (to keep out critters and bugs) or can we get by with a tarp?

Tarp. Likelihood of significant precipitation in June is slim, and the
San Gabriels don't have many annoying critters and bugs.

> - Have PCT trail guidebook, southern California, 2003 edition.  Are there any updates to route since then?  Where can I get updates?

Ben Schifrin and Wilderness Press have compiled updates to the
guidebooks. You can request them from Wilderness Press
<info@wildernesspress.com> or--easier yet--download the file you need
from the Web site of David "Hiking the PCNST in bits":
http://pcnst.oakapple.net/wilderness-press/

> -  With all the moisture in So. Cal. This year, do you anticipate snowpack at higher elevations in San Gabriels in early June?

It's hard for a SoCal hiker like me to imagine, but it's quite likely
you'll encounter significant snow in places.

Enjoy,
Carl