[pct-l] Top o' the chain

>>There have been a couple of references this week to
the >>"thruhiker vs  >>non-thruhiker" thing.  And I
think it >>might be a good thing for someone to
>>stand up and tell it like it is - that thruhikers
ain't >>the top of the food
>>chain.

To really tell it like it is: There is no top of the
food chain when it comes the outdoor pursuits. :-)

Among my friends, I have an 8000 meter peak climber (2
8000 meter peaks, actually), an accomplished rock
climber, an experienced ultra runner,   somoeone who
teaches mountaineering school for the Colorado
Mountain Club, another friend who can make the best
tele turns I've ever seen, and  finally someone one
who makes the best backcountry meals I've ever tasted.
 Who's the top? No one. Who's the most experienced?
Apples and oranges, as the saying goes.  What's
better..a hammer? a wrench? or a screwdriver? Depends
what you are doing.

A true outdoors person realizes there are many ways to
experience and be accomplished in the outdoors. Of my
friends, I probably have the most endurance (and thick
headedness!). Put me on a big climb? You'd see me go
**SPLAT**.  :) Just different skill sets and different
ways of experiencing the outdoors.

Is a thru-hiker/triple crowner the top of the food
chain? Nope.  But just as accomplshed in their own way
as any other accomplished outdoor enthusiasts.  As
always, check your (meaning anyone) ego at the door.

(Actually, I'd say my gourmet backcountry chef friend
is truly the head of the food chain...she eats well!
:D)

Just my .05 worth....

--Thoreau
http://www.magnanti.com