[pct-l] alternate PCT

I'm delighted to see this week's thread about developing an alternate PCT in
Southern California.  Tom Bache,David Bache, and I were looking at the Santa
Rosa Mountains two weeks ago and thinking the same thing.  Such an alternate
must not detract financially or in any other way from the PCT.  But even to
talk about it represents the maturation of our beloved sport.

It was what inspired my friend Dave Sherman to propose creation of an
alternate Appalachian Trail in the South.  The trick is to go beyond talk to
actually create the trail as Dave and his friends did!  [See
http://www.bmta.org/BMTRouteMap.pdf ]

Creation of an alternate is also the motivation behind Andy Skurka's epic
thru-hike on the brand new Sea-To-Sea Route.  Starting at the Atlantic Ocean
last August, Andy has now reached western North Dakota.  He hopes to finish
the C2C in July at Cape Alava on the Pacific Ocean.  [www.andrewskurka.com ]

Warning:  It's not difficult to come up with ides for new routes and trails.
  But the dogged work of turning a concept into a trail tread usually takes
many decades.

Ron "Pathfinder" Strickland, La Jolla, CA