[pct-l] Thank you

Haven't had any computer access for the last eight days, so it's been very
interesting to catch up on some of the threads. I have lots of thoughts on
the kickoff discussion, but little time to compose a big message, so I'll
stick with some other things....

Just finished a three day project on the east slope of Spitler Peak in the
southern San Jacinto Range and it was an awesome experience. After building
trail for ten years on the AT, it was great to finally do some of that on
the PCT.  Wonderful group to work with, and I find myself very tempted to
return for the 8 days in late may when they complete the project, even
though logistically it may not work out for me to be there.  I highly
recommend to anyone interested in experiencing another side of the PCT
community to give the southern trail crew a try.

Regarding my DVD - thank you for all the very kind words. It seems to have
had the intended affect, and I'm happy to see that it's getting out there
beyond what I'm able to distribute myself. For all those who have been
making copies to send to others, please, if you can, include a copy of the
cover insert that came with the original batch. There's some important
information in there. And for those who received one without an insert, here
is the main part (as posted on pct-l previously:)

Pacific Crest Trail ? 2004
Total Running Time: 72 minutes

1. Southern CA  (19:00)      DVD?ROM:
2. Central CA  (17:08)          ? Extended Compilation
3. Northern CA  (7:37)           (High Resolution  JPEG Images)
4. Oregon  (9:00)
5. Washington  (13:40)
6. Closing Credits (2:32)
7. The Kickoff  (2:30)
8. The Exit  (1:03)

This presentation was compiled with the primary purpose of representing as
much as possible the 2004 northbound long-distance hiking season. The
photography comes from the contributions of about 40 different people who
hiked either part or all of the trail in 2004.  The DVD-ROM portion contains
an extended 2004 south to north compilation, with about 1,470 photos, or
nearly double the amount contained in the main program. It is best viewed as
a slide show format arranged by title on the computer.

My intention is for this disk to be as accessible as possible to anyone who
desires to see it, so duplication and sharing with others is encouraged.
However, for a variety of reasons, please do not use the material for any
commercial oriented purpose without the consent of the originating
photographer. This is a private-use creation and I have no intention of
selling it. I can be contacted at weathercarrot at hotmail.com if you'd like
be in touch with any of the contributors, or if you have any general
feedback.

Editing was done with Apple's iMovie, and burned onto disk with iDVD.
Panning and zooming was done through Photo to Movie by LQ Graphics. I used
Audacity, a free audio editing program, to edit the soundtrack, and
Photoshop to create the credits. I would suggest watching with stereo sound,
if available. The disk may have trouble playing in some DVD players,
especially older models. If so, try it in another player.

Thanks to everyone who helped make this project happen. Enjoy!

- Weathercarrot

To the people who wrote in over the last week or so looking for copies, such
as Rex Osbourne, Shawn Loga, Jollies, Tim, and others - I hope someone by
now has contacted you about it. I'm starting to lose track of who has
received one, who hasn't, and who's about to get one from someone else, etc
- so because I'm out of copies (besides my ALDHA Gathering stash) and I have
no more access to burning others until December, I hope it'll still get
distributed through the very affective networking of the trail community.
I'd also like to mention again that I would prefer that this not get sold or
used commercially, beyond voluntary donations. Thanks again.

Regarding Raru and Sisu's DVD - I've been looking forward to this for a
while and this afternoon or evening will be my first chance to see it. I'll
get back to you.  Take care,

wc