[pct-l] Kickoff After Action Report

I just got back home from the annual Kickoff at Lake Morena.  The best I have
seen.  Really lots of fun.  My gear weighing table, handsfree umbrella
holder, and free Pringles were well received.  I gave rides to hikers needing to get
to Lake Morena along Interstate 8 and also from Warner Springs.

I hiked from Lake Morena to Mt. Laguna before my legs gave out.  I now figure
that a 10 mile for me is the same as a 20 mile hike for you.  Oh, well.  The
price of getting a little older, etc.

I left 4 Julian pies at Pioneer Mail campground.  I have not idea who or whom
ate them.  I just heard at Scissors Crossing that they were definitely eaten.
 Ha, ha.  Those pies are really great and very heavy with all the fruit
inside.  Much heavier than a Marie Calendar pie.  At Scissors Crossing I provided
some Duct tape and alcohol wipes to hikers.  Note to Switchback for the 2006
Kickoff: "Do not leave pies at Pioneer Mail."  Too expensive at $10 each.

I stayed at the Mt. Laguna Resort.  By the way, it is being sold this year.
The family that has run it for, I think, 30 years is selling the place.  A new
20 year lease starts next year.  I also stayed at the Orchard Hill resort at
Julian.  Really high class and first rate (I could only stay there with my 25%
military discount at the off season rate).  I got a rubdown too at the
resort.  Fantastic!!!  The attendant found a LONG rattlesnake or scorpion fang
embedded in the top of my left foot.  I knew there was a small red spot there, but
paid no real attention to it.  I must have got it on Sunday near the trail and
she found it on Wednesday morning during the rubdown.  It was buried about
1/4 inch into my skin.  Of course, it could have been a some type of thorn, but
I do not think so.  Anyway, I like my story better.

My hiking partner, Free Bird, out of Phoenix, AZ was doing great heading up
to Warner Springs to do Section A.  She is a natural hiker and should thru-hike
someday.  Of course I learned some new things for my hike from Kennedy
Meadows to Cottonwood Pass hike in June.  That 40 mile hike will be equal to a 150
mile hike for you.  I will take 4 days to do it.  I figure I will complete my
section hike of the PCT by 2145.

Cheers, Switchback