[pct-l] Alternate Trails to KM in Southern California

The idea of alternate trail approaches to the PCT from Southern
California is spinning in my head...

If you previous thru-hikers have already made it to KM from Campo, would
you be interested in a 2nd thru-hike from an alternative location?
I understand the availability of wilderness area between the Mexican
Border to the Sierras is limited, but here are a few ideas:

Between Vista and Diamond Bar, there is a stretch of wilderness that
runs along the first coastal hills and mountain range. Vista, Escondido,
Fallbrook, San Mateo Wilderness & Cleveland NF behind Camp Pendleton MC
Base, Trabuco/Santiago/Modjeska Peaks, Corona, Chino Hills State Park,
Diamond Bar.
There's a leg of open land between Chino Hills and Whittier.

Someone already mentioned further east along the Santa Rosa Mountain
range.

Between the northern edge of the San Fernando Valley and Ventura there's
open land, state park and national forest through the Sequoias.

And of course, there's HUGE tracts of desert (ugh) for an eastern
approach.

If I've already "bagged" a thru-hike, it may not be as important to
re-walk sections A thru G. Starting out on the coast near Ventura and
hiking to KM would be an attractive hike. The other areas described
above would require walks through more urbanized areas at times, but
public transportation between places like Diamond Bar and the San
Gabriels is available and it's really just a short hop to get back onto
the PCT in some of these locations. I wholly understand the wilderness
experience thing, and I hope this isn't an altogether sacrilegious
proposal (PCT-wise), but if I've already seen The Borrego, there are
other places in Southern California that are still wild and relatively
unused. It would certainly reduce the wave between Campo and KM.

Just a thought.

Michael Saenz, Associate Partner
McLarand    Vasquez    Emsiek   &   Partners,   Inc.
A r c h i t e c t u r e  |  P l a n n i n g  |  I n t e r i o r s
MVE       MVE    Institutional       MVP    International
w  w  w   .   m  v  e   -   a  r  c  h  i  t  e  c  t  s   .   c  o m
<http://www.mve-architects.com>