[pct-l] Weathercarrot's DVD Music

Good evening, All,

After several very enjoyable viewings of Weathercarrot's  PCT-2004 DVD, I began playing it off to the side for it's 72 minutes of good music.  No longer distracted by the scenery, I came to more closely listen to some of the lyrics.  I really appreciate one set in particular as being representative of what we try to accomplish on PCT-L.

    We don't have knowledge

    And so we have "stuff,

    But "stuff" without knowledge

    Is never enough.

    It just won't get you there.

        - Lyrics: Two Little Feet

The propensity of new or casual hikers to acquire and rely upon "stuff" is well known.  Sometimes the rookies do so may be because they listen the advise of inexpert friends or over-zealous merchants.  Maybe they wish to be prepared to deal with any imaginable eventually.  Probably they do not really know what they need, so they pack everything.  Most of all they lack the experience to really trust the austere little 10 lbs. of gear recommended by experts.  That 10 lbs. just does not answer all of their concerns and apprehensions.

Meaningful Q&A on the PCT-L can share the tribal knowledge, and over time much of that extra "stuff" will no longer be packed.  Maybe not everyone will get to a 10 lb. base weight, but I'll bet you a raisin cookie that they will shed 10-20 lbs from wherever they started.  Conversely, I do not know of a single instance where gains in knowledge and experience resulted in more gear being packed.

Well . I take that back.  I do know of such instances.  The military continues to heap more and more "stuff" on our ground troops until now, in their camo and with all their gear wrapped around them, they look like gigantic, two-legged cabbages.  The people specifying the gear are not the ones that have to hump a 'ruck through the bush, once again proving that nothing is impossible for those who don't have to do it.

Steel-Eye

"The weight of all your equipment is proportional to the cube of the time you have been carrying it."

- Universal Military Quotes, Comments, and Axioms

By the way, here is a music play-list for the DVD.  I like to stick one in the case.  Most of the formatting is crud after I copied out of Word.  Sorry.

S-E

Music From: Pacific Crest Trail - 2004

                 By: Weathercarrot

Southern California - Campo                                      Time:
1.      "Reel Around The Sun" (excerpt)  -Bill Whelan         0:00:00

2.       "Aldebaran"  -Enya                                                 0:02:45

3.      "Into The Mystic"  -Van Morrison                             0:05:35

4.      "Pai Calls The Whales" (excerpt)  -Lisa Gerrard         0:09:00

5.       "Wandering Saint"  (excerpt)  -L. Subramaniam         0:10:15

6.      "Now We Are Free" -Gerrard, Zimmer, Badelt             0:14:00

Central California - Kennedy Meadows
7.       "Strathgarry"  -Simon Wynberg                                 0:19:05

8.      "Light and Shadow"  -Vangelis                                 0:22:30

9.       "Organics" (excerpt)  -Michael Stearns                     0:26:25

10.    "Two Little Feet"  -Greg Brown                                 0:27:50

11.     "Moonwatch" (excerpt)  -Mike Oldfield                      0:32:23

Northern California - Sierra City
12.     "Firedance" (excerpt)  -Bill Whalen                         0:36:18

13.     "Beating Drums"  -Bruno Coulais                             0:38:35

14.     "Shepheards' Delight" - Martin Simpson                 0:41:48

Oregon
15.      "Antarctica"  -Vangelis                                         0:43:56

16.      "Northern Bound"  -Bruno Coulais                         0:47:37

17.       "Macedonian Morning"  -Bill Whalen                     0:50:00

Washington
18.     "Out On The Crest Trail"  -Walkin' Jim Stoltz         0:53:15

19.     "Finale"  -Michael Stearns                                    0:57:45

20.     "Dante's Prayer"  -Loreena McKennitt                     1:03:16

ADZPCTKO - Lake Morena Park, Mile #20
21.     "Red Pepper Pickle"  -Jim Gallant                         1:09:15