[pct-l] Thoughts on the ADZPCTKO thread

Fallingwater writes:

"I also noted that your preferred event locations occur north of Aqua Dulce
where any potential problems with clumping would be transferred to someone
else. Your place also contributes in its own way to hiker clumping."

I don't know how much clearer Donna could communicate that this discussion
is not about her. When I first saw the Walk DVD the thing that really stuck
me is the incredible number of PCT hikers gathered together at one time
along the trail. The number of people hiking the trail is skyrocketing. I
think she is being very forward thinking about this issue. There is no doubt
that the number of PCT hikers will continue to grow and create an impact on
the trail.

As she has made clear?its not just the impact on towns and other hiker
support mechanisms that she is concerned about?it?s the impact upon the
trail as well. When people are clumped together, their impact upon the land
and the trail grows exponentially. For example: When a large group of people
camp together in a spot that had otherwise not previously accommodated large
groups, they have to camp in areas that have not been previously impacted.
Sooner or later that impact will be noticed?including those governmental
types.

I would echo the voices that have previously been heard on this thread and
suggest that the KO date be moved forward by a couple of weeks or so and
create a support network that would drive hikers whom had already started to
the KO. Now, Yogi has pointed out that there are many who would resist
because of that ever present northward pull on the trail?but I believe that
many would take the opportunity to attend the KO and join in the PCT family
revelry. I would.

The water cache debate is an interesting one. I can only think of one water
cache that I ran into during my 96? PCT hike. Looking at the effects of the
caches is well worth thinking about. Perhaps a huge motivation for people to
supply water caches is to help the PCT community. Perhaps that altruistic
drive could be re-directed towards helping out in transportation to and from
the KO, or working with the PCTA in trail maintenance projects.

Its funny. Back in 1996 I heard a fellow PCT?er bemoan what the future of
the PCT holds. He stated that having lots of water caches and other such
?improvements? would bring the masses out to the trail and forever change
the nature PCT experience for the worse . At the time I didn?t take him
seriously?funny that today we find ourselves having this discussion on the
list. Its good to be forward thinking when looking at issues associated with
the PCT.