From: pct-l-bounces@mailman.backcountry.net
[mailto:pct-l-bounces@mailman.backcountry.net] On Behalf Of AsABat
Sent: Tuesday, April 26, 2005 7:42 PM
To: pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net
Subject: [pct-l] Water updates

Last year we began an experiment in trying to get complete water info
for Southern Cal faster. This became the Pacific Crest Trail Water
Reports at www.4jeffrey.net/pctwater .

A couple observations:

1.	This information was printed and passed out at ADZ, but was also
updated on the web after copies were made. No one had to attend ADZ to
get this info, although updates and discussions on strategy did take
place.
2.	Info on the page is updated whenever I receive info (by direct
email
or on PCT-L, and sometimes by prowling online trail journals), and
whenever I get around to it!
3.	Info on the page is only as good as the info I receive, and can
change quickly when the weather changes. Therefore, I include the date
of each observation.
4.	Conditions in the field can change quickly, and someone may have
found there was the stream was dry or the cache was empty and chose to
curse but not to let us know. Be prepared!
5.	Caches should NEVER be relied upon for survival. Consider them
the
way you would a Snickers bar stash found at a trailhead - nice to have
but not essential.

We would like to move this to the PCTA website some day. I have had
discussions with them, but have not been able to find the time and
ability to coordinate it. Therefore, they have included a link to
<http://www.4jeffrey.net/pctwater> Southern California Water Source
information at the top of their "Trail Conditions" page. (No need to
remember how to spell my name!)

A big thank you to all who have been providing detailed water reports.
Some hikers have sent detailed, itemized lists of water sources early in
the season. This let us all know that this year's rain did in fact fill
the streams. Last year it let us know things were dry before ADZ. THANK
YOU!

AsABat