[pct-l] Why I Boycotted the ADZPCTKO . . .

On 4/26/05, Steve Courtway <scourtway@bpa-arch.com> wrote:

> Morena campground is nearing capacity as it is isn't it ?  It seems as if
> that alone would put a finite cap on the number of people leaving San Diego
> at the same time and attending the kick off........

The campground is nearing capacity, but bear in mind that only about
one-fourth of the people attending the kickoff this year are aspiring
2005 thru hikers. In theory, then, we could accommodate even more
thrus by limiting the number of other hangers-on. (In fact, following
the growth track this silly event has taken, we will have to limit
attendance next year, as we've just about maxed out what the park will
allow.)

Donna wrote:
> The ADZ has definitely affected the concentration, and altered the natural
> flow of starters; that is also a fact.

It's true. While it's a relatively narrow window to start with,
there's no doubt that the kickoff artificially creates a mass of
hikers centered around that date. The question then becomes one of
whether the benefits provided by ADZ (safety in numbers; ability to
talk with many "experts" who've hiked before; presentations from
previous hikers; displays of innovative gear from other hikers and
from small-time vendors; discussion of trail, water, and snow
conditions; fire and wilderness permits from USFS and PCTA; an
introduction to a terrific community of like-minded souls; etc.)
outweigh the downsides (hiking and camping in a pack; arriving in
sold-out, overcrowded towns; environmental damage).

As one of the ADZ co-conspirators, I welcome this discussion. The
organizers are cognizant of the concerns. This year we took our first
steps toward mitigating the problem by sending letters to businesses
and post offices along the way to warn them of the impending wave and
to suggest items that they might stock up on to make the experience a
positive one for them while reducing frustration for hikers. In
addition, we started encouraging hikers to pick their own natural
starting dates and, if they were interested, we'd help to find
transportation back to the kickoff. Several hikers did that this year,
but we need to expand that effort. I'd love to hear other suggestions
on how we can limit the impact.

Keep talking. We're listening. (But then, as Greg says, we're gonna do
what we damned well please. <I'm kidding. I'm kidding!> )

Cheers,
Carl
1977 Kelty Kid
ADZPCTKO Webmaster and campsite coordinator