From: Bighummel@aol.com
Sent: Apr 26, 2005 9:43 AM
To: Slyatpct@aol.com, pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net
Subject: Re: [pct-l] Why I Boycotted the ADZPCTKO . . .

Sly, this is my point perfectly.  Take away the ADZ and the numbers of hikers
and the concentration are still there and will increase.  When and where we
hold the ADZ is irrelevent to the issue of the increase in popularity of hiking
the PCT.

Greg

Sly writes:
Key word being "growth".

It's not just the ADZ that has grown but the popularity of the PCT as well.
On the AT they call it, "loving the trail to death.

In my opinion, regardless of if there is a Kick Off or not, on the PCT, the
window of opportunity is short and in any given year "hiker crunch" is going
cause an impact.  How do you lessen it?  You don't, you live with it.

In normal snow years, the best timed start is the last (full) weekend in
April.  Timed to hit KM for Ray Day and/or the High Sierra for the earliest
possible safe passage.  This year is different, your best date would be two
weeks
from now.  If there were no ADZ that's when the crunch would be.  While the
hikers wouldn't have to linger for the majority of snow to melt, there's a
very
good possibility they wouldn't make it to Canada on time.

Sly