[pct-l] ADZPCTKO . . .

I have been quietly reading all of the dialogue and usually do not comment on
the list, however, I feel compelled to add my "2 cents" for what it is worth.
 I agree with Donna that the impact on the trails is overwhelming.  I am a
Leave No Trace Trainer and I try to follow the principles of LNT, however when
you have hundreds of hikers hitting the trail at one time, the environment is
definitely affected by this impact.  If a Girl Scout troop, Boy Scout troop, or
other group tried to get a wilderness permit, they would be denied the permit
because of the impact and exceeding the 14 hiker maximum in a group (I've
been denied for this reason).  You then have to break your group up and go at
different times.  However, if a hiker is a "thru-hiker" then a group of 50 or
more hitting the trail at one time seems to be acceptable.  The devistation to
the trail is definitely apparent.  I believe some sort of limitation of how many
hit the trail at one time should come into play.  I, unfortunately, have not
have the pleasure of attending the ADZ, although I hope to, so I do not know
if a session is held covering LNT.  If not, I would suggest that one be added.
I took my training through NOLS with the rangers from Yosemite NP and the
Cleveland NF; having a master trainer or one of the rangers who has completed
their training come speak about the impact on the trail would be my suggestion.
They would definitely be eager to do it.

On another issue, my Girl Scout backpacking group has discussed all that
Donna has done to help out the thru-hikers and we want to offer to help her out,
even if only for one day, to give Donna a break.  Our backpacking group would
love to come to Donna's home and cook all day for the thru-hikers.  We would
bring the food, a cook trailer (if OK to bring it), cook pancakes, bacon, etc.,
lunch, dutch oven dinner, cobbler for dessert, and send everyone off with a
frozen bottle of water for that long hot stretch.  The experience would be
wonderful for the girls who would love to talk with the hikers, they would love to
serve the hikers, and let Donna have the time to sit back and enjoy.  It isn't
much, but we feel it is our way of saying THANKS to all that Donna does and
it is our way of giving something back.  (Because one day we will be
backpacking through that area and may show up on Donna's doorstep ourselves!)

I'm done with my soap box.  I hope I haven't offended anyone.

Donna Smith
Girl Scout BP Advisor Troop 3000