[pct-l] Why I Boycotted the ADZPCTKO . . .

1)  The ADZPCTKO is NOT necessary to attend and we, the organizers do not
mandate that anyone attend.  It is by each individual's choice that they attend.

2) The focus of the ADZPCTKO is not the event itself or the party.  If you
had attended you would have heard my welcoming talk in which I reminded the
crowd of the originating and continuing mission of the ADZPCTKO;

                1. Provide logistical services to aspiring hikers at the
Southern Terminus of the PCT; water, transportation, safety in numbers, etc.

                2. Provide educational materials about the trail, its
history, its geology, its flora, its fauna, its snow conditions, the water
availability, fire safety, bear safety, food protection, hiker health, etc., etc.

                3. Provide inspirational presentations and personal
interaction to those who aspire to hike this trail.

All other aspects associated with the event, should they not fall within the
above narrow focus of the event, are minimized or eliminated.  Thus a gear
swap idea was nixed.  Increasing the number of vendors was nixed.

The event MUST be planned a year in advance as the host site (and any other
site that we may wish to have host such a large gathering) requires such.  The
timing of the event does not mandate a hiker start date.  A large number of
hikers this year started earlier and hitched back to the event.  A large number
of hikers came to the event and are not starting for a week or two from now.
About 20 or more hikers are hiking southbound this year and are not attending.

The ADZ is about the aspiring hikers of the PCT; our guests at the event.
Nothing more and nothing less.

Disagreements about the timing and location of the event will be considered
and discussed by the organizers of the event (since they are the people who
have put their own blood, sweat, tears, money and time into insuring that the
event went so smoothly) and a decision will be made this week!

At the "post organizer meeting" on Sunday, the first question raised was,
"Should we hold the 8th ADZPCTKO?"  The vote was unaminous in the positive.   All
problems raised in the meeting were considered whether the issue was broken
and needed fixing or not.

The vendors in Lake Morena stocked up for the influx of hikers for this event
and tell us that we are their biggest profit weekend of the year now and they
LOVE US!

Greg "Strider" Hummel
ADZPCTKO Grand Poobah