[pct-l] Why I Boycotted the ADZPCTKO . . .

>From all accounts another great ADZPCTKO was held this weekend at Lake Morena.  Congratulations to all of the organizers and volunteers who worked so very hard, and schlepped a ton of stuff down to the campground, to make this event happen for the benefit of everyone who attended.  I know from my past experiences that a great time was had by all; great information and presentations, great reunions, and great connections made.  Before I stick my neck out and launch into why I didn't attend the event (and I suspect potentially start a flame war directed at me!) I want to state clearly that the ADZ has grown into the BEST event for long-distance hikers this side of the Mississippi, and it is quite simply wonderful.

So, if I feel this way about the ADZ, why didn't I go? Please know that it wasn't because of a schedule conflict, or because I'm not interested in the event.  I boycotted the ADZ deliberately over a position that I have come to by observation of its effects, and to stand by my belief and principles.

In a nutshell, I believe that it is WRONG to encourage a large mass of hikers to start hiking the PCT on (or near) the same weekend, plain and simple.  This was a terriffic concept when the numbers of hikers were small; it provided safety in numbers through the border region.  But as the number of hikers inevitably grows, as it clearly has, the mass of people that is bunched together because of the ADZ has implications and consequences up trail.  It affects caches, hosts, small businesses; and perhaps most important, the overall experience for the hikers caught in the pack.  As a host who takes in 99.9% of hikers thru-hiking the trail, I have observed this concentration of hiker traffic with growing alarm.

The PCT has about a six to eight week window for starting from the border, depending on the year and snowfall in the north and south.  Mid-April is the theoretical start in a normal year.  Our experience in observing the flow is that hikers have found their way to the border based on their own schedules.  But over the years as the ADZ has increased in popularity and attendance, the preponderance of hikers starting out each season are starting at  the ADZPCTKO.  Many hikers believe they HAVE to attend this event in order to be prepared for the PCT, and set their schedules accordingly.  Not only do I question this thinking and dependency for philosophical reasons, as a host, I've been viewing the ADZ with budding resentment for what it's causing in terms of concentration.

Jeff and I have always anticipated the growth in the overall the number of thru-hikers on the PCT.  It's something we've considered and discussed as part of our commitment to helping hikers. It is NOT the increase in overall numbers that disturbs us.  It is the massive concentration of start dates caused by the ADZ, that is causing a human tsunami as the pack moves north.  There were 145 self-identified 2005 thru-hikers registered for this year's event.   Last year there was close to 200 in the 2004 class picture.  Some of this year's hikers who attended the ADZ did start earlier, and got rides to the event, and thereby avoided adding to the concentration.  But this number is small next to the number of those starting their hike on KO weekend.