[pct-l] SECTION D - Islip Saddle - Mt Williamson - Eagles Roost Picnic - Cloudburst Summit

Hi All
I finally got out to Islip Saddle today Sunday, April 24 2005.

I took my trusty chain saw intending to remove any down trees along the way. I started up Mt Williamson and encountered my 1st tree 0.10 mile in, there was lots of snow here but passable, made short work of it and moved on. less than 0.10 mile later the snow be came much much deeper completely covering the trail in drifts 4-6ft + drifts, I turned back.

I felt if this was the conditions on Mt Williamson, conditions could be no better Southbound, so I hiked down the South Fork Trail for about 2 miles and removed several low hanging and broken off branches, so South fork is a viable alternate at least 2 miles down from Islip Saddle. Along the way at 2 large draws you could see evidence of avalanch damage, WOW. very unusal IMHO.

I hopped in the old buggy and want over to Eagles Roost Picnic and started down to Cooper Cyn.... What the??? 4-6 feet of snow on the trail, well I aint going down there....

Hopped in the buggy again and over to Cloudburst Summit, same story deep snow covering the trail, Then went Northbound from here not as bad, took out several large branches that where blocking the trail and 1 dead fall 12", this was <> 398.9 and 399.8

While retriving my saw and other gear a red truck pulled up and a guy was preparing for a hike, I inquired as to his destination, he was hiking South on the trail to get a little more of a hike in after turning back from Mt Williamson Southbound from 391.0 he said he hiked for about 40min until the trail was totally inpassable.He was better equiped than I with Crampons and Ice Axe

>From here you can see NB to 401.2, Camp Glenwood and there was lots of deep snow along there.

I then headed to Three Points, there was 3 hikers at 401.7 they said the had hiked SB from three points and encountered 1 down tree but no other problems.

I hiked a short distance NB from three points and all seemed relatively well and then went over by Sulphur Springs and 407.7, along the way you cross Alder Saddle and the road to Pacifico Mtn which is closed Nov 15 thru May 15, well it's gonna be closed longer this year... about 0.10 mile from the locked gate the road is totally washed away for 100ft, a major engineering project will be needed to replace the side of the mountain that was washed away from under the road.

To make a long story short Stay off Baden-Powell & Williamson, Stay out of Cooper Cyn and <> 399.8 and 401.7, this makes the Alternate route extension over Burkhart Saddle a questionable route and should be avoided for now IMHO

There where lots of low clouds and fog so I couldn't see Pacifico Mtn but... That is the only way to go and it is lower than Islip/Willimason area.

Cheers
Trail90