[pct-l] TarpTent: Any advice?

This probably goes for all single wall, silnylon tents.

Size: Can't say anything about the length. You might want to go for the 2
person and be safer.

Wet Weather: It won't leak and will keep the rain/wet out. Try not to pitch
it so that the wind blows directly into the opening. However, like any
single wall tent, you can/will get condensation on the inside at times,
especially if you close the vestibule. If you get a breeze, no problem.
Don't camp by a stream or low - try to stay high. The design will let
condensation run down the inside and go into the netting and then the ground
rather than into your sleeping area.  Silnylon dries very fast. For most of
the PCT, it will work great. If you get day after day of Washington rains,
you might wish for something else. But, that will add a lot more weight.

Floor: I agree that bugs are bad. I would get it with the floor. But, you
don't need to keep the netting closed all of the time.

Durable: Silnylon is thinner than other nylon. But, it holds up very well
and is quite strong. Just be careful - and don't drag or abuse the fabric.
Also, be careful with the poles. They are thinner than other poles and can't
take extreme flexing. The design is such that it should work OK.

Other items:
    Silnylon seems to stretch a bit more than other nylons. You may need to
tighten a couple of times.
    In a big wind, you could bet lots of fluttering.
    It packs very small.
    If you use a trekking pole as the front pole, beware of rodents nibbling
at the handle (sweat). Try covering it with aluminum foil, plastic bag at
night.

If I could get a double wall tent that is the same weight as the single,
wall silnylon, I would get that. But, until they come out with lighter
fabrics with the same strength (supposedly, that is coming), I would go with
the silnylon.

Marshall Karon
Portland, OR