[pct-l] Emergency position locator

Darrell and I own an EPIRB that we bought some years ago for security  backup
while we were canoeing in the Yukon wilderness and also up in the Brooks
Range. We never had to turn it on, gratefully!  The basic rule of  thumb is that
if you turn it on, you'd better be dying or the  FCC will haul your butt into
court. As has already been posted on this  thread, a lot of very pricey rescue
teams are mobilized when one of these is set  off.  These units were
originally design for use by any small craft in the  ocean that went down.  However,
when folks who  love land-based wilderness learned about them, their popularity
grew  to non-sea-based activities. They pretty much guarantee that if you
set it off, someone will be by your side within about 1/2 a day or even  less.
The manufacturer of the one we have stated that rescue would locate  you and
arrive within 5 hours.  Never used mine so I don't know.

Of course, they are pretty rugged and completely water proof.

There are specified times of day when you are allowed to test it.   Naturally
... you need to be sure it sends a signal.  That's what the big  bucks were
for, after all.

These are cheaper than a satellite phone, or at least they were when we
researched and made our purchase.  Prices may have changed since  then.  At the
time of our purchase, satellite phones cost $1,500 and  more.  This unit cost us
about $350.

If I remember correctly, you are not allowed to change the battery  yourself.
 I believe the unit must be shipped to the factory to have the  battery
changed there and then returned to you.  I'd have to look in my  owners manual to
be sure.

Darrell, solo hiking nobo, does not carry this on the PCT.  He  wouldn't even
consider it.  Too heavy!  =;-)  We have it for when  we are up in Alaska and
Yukon wilderness and it is really to make ME feel like  we have a bit of
insurance, not him.  It did give me a little peace of  mind, as we were canoeing
alone.

Betsy