[pct-l] Ice axe self-arrest

  Here are some good articles on proper form for ice
axe self-arrest.  I was surprised that I found so few
as I thought I could find a website with video
illustration of technique, but, alas, not.

http://www.hightrek.co.uk/climbing/how2/axe1.htm

http://www.traditionalmountaineering.org/Photos_SnowClimbing_IceAxe_sm.htm

http://www.rockandice.com/guide%20tip/135%20Guides%20Tip.pdf

And here is an article for those of you wondering
about using trekking poles for self-arrest.  I
generally agree with the writer.  However, those of
you who have already gotten by with trekking poles
instead of an ice axe, I defer to your personal
judgement.

http://outside.away.com/outside/gear/gearguy/200209/20020905.html

As always, if you cannot obtain instruction in
self-arrest, then I always highly recommend (as others
have) that you study "Mountaineering: The Freedom of
the Hills" from the Mountaineers.  It is the single
best source of this information available and can be
found in most public libraries.  I learned self-arrest
in just this manner then praticed on the PCT in
southern California as much as possible.  I was
totally new to ice axes, crampons, deep snow, big
mountains, etc.  By the time I finished the PCT, I
felt that I could glissade and self-arrest with the
best.

Alan

Yahoo! Mail Mobile
http://mobile.yahoo.com/learn/mail