[pct-l] GPS, is it worth it?

I agree that knowledge of map and compass use is a necessity, but I'm still
convinced that a small, lightweight GPS unit is worth it. I just returned
from a weekend jaunt through Anza-Borrego with 20 students in tow. I was
surprised to learn what scanr knowledge people have about the use of the GPS
and importantly, what to do with the data it displays-- especially in regard
to route-finding and establishing position. The purchase of only a GPS is
not an immediate fix for route-finding problems, since it is necessary to
know the coordinates of the trail at all locations. This will take some
preparation and learning how the instrument works and how to translate your
GPS position onto a map. So, in addition to the GPS, you need the
coordinated trace of the trail along with a good map set and you need to
know how to locate your position on a map with a GPS. This can take just as
much prep time as learning how to triangulate your position using a compass
and known landmarks. In the end, I think the learning curves have similar
elevation profiles (sorry for the embedded pun), but the GPS is much, much
more accurate, especially if you're just getting started with map and
compass skills.