[pct-l] salt loving goats

I missed the original discussion on these 'Gorge Goats'. Are they being
introduced or reintroduced? Makes a difference. Mountain goats are native to
the northern Rockies and the northwest ranges (all the way to Alaska). They
are not native to the southern Rockies where they were introduced in the San
Juans of southern Colorado back in the 70's. I have frequently encountered
these goats and witnessed their ensuing damage on the alpine tundra of
southern Colorado. Also, the vegetation in southern alpine areas has
substantially less sodium content than in the goat's native ranges to the
north. So the goats in southern Colorado need sodium all the time. They see
backpackers as a source of salt. They are so sodium-starved that they will
pursue people (at as close a range as humans will feel comfortable) and wait
patiently for humans to urinate, at which time they promptly drink up the
urine. Sickos!
 I don't think this is solely characteristic of the southern goats (any
generalist herbivore's diet is deficient in sodium). The perceived
aggression/domestication of the goats is most likely a desire for your body
salts.
 All this aside, I kind of enjoy their presence, even though they are
exerting damage on the tundra. We as backpackers, can minimize the damage by
urinating on rocks and not on soil so the goats won't uproot the tundra to
get at the salt in the urine.