[pct-l] Ice Axe length.

Hey hikers!

I'm not yet a thru-hiker... just a wannabe.... but, I AM a climber.  I've been teaching ice axe arrest and glacier travel for the past 15 years, and I know that I've heard it on this list before from someone else who climbs... but, the idea is to use the axe for self belay (to keep you from falling) as you are walking. Plant, step, step, Plant, step, step.  Arrest is a means of last resort.  A short axe is designed for technical ice climbing where you are reaching overhead, it will do virtually nothing to assist you in self-belaying as you travel on moderate terrain (45 deg or less).   Although, I will say, that once you fall (god forbid), a short axe will perform an arrest probably as well as a longer axe.

I've always been taught, that when purchasing  an ice axe for use on less technical terrain, the spike should reach my ankle bone, when I am holding it in my hand at my side.

HYOY... but my 2cents
Terri
Seattle

Sharon & Chuck Chelin <chelin@teleport.com> wrote:
Good afternoon, NaborJ,

Here is an alternative view on ice axe length. The traditional length, i.e.
long, is good when poking the handle into deep, soft snow during a belay,
and for chopping steps with a minimum of bending over. I'm a hiker, not an
ice climber. I have never belayed with mine except during practice, but if I
did have to belay a short handle would work OK in crusty, late season
snow-pack. I carry an ice axe only to chop an occasional set of steps, and
for its comforting potential of self-arrest when the pucker-factor gets
high, otherwise the fool thing is strapped to the back of my pack and I use
a set of hiking poles. My axe is 45 cm, which means I should be only 3' 5"
tall. It is perfectly good for arrest, in fact I find that it is quicker
and handier than the longer ones that I have tried. For chopping steps a
short axe is not as handy as a long one because it is necessary to bend over
further, but I seldom chop more than 20 steps a year, while I carry it a
good bit. Also, most other people lash the axe into the pack with the head
down. I don't, I lash it head-up so I can reach back and yank it out
without removing the pack. The 45 cm axe is about the same length as my
pack so it doesn't have it's spike sticking out the bottom hanging-up every
time I sit or remove the pack. Besides, the thought of that spike hanging
down there threatening the back of my legs, and my exhaust system, is not
very comforting. I'm not altogether happy with it, though. Someday I will
find a lighter ... but still short ... replacement.

Steel-Eye

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause
and reflect.
- Mark Twain