[pct-l] ice axe to ?

On Apr 16, 2005, at 12:41 AM, Trekker4@aol.com wrote:
> I'll try once more; I only got 1 opinion from my 1st request. Should I
> ship
> my ice axe to S CA, and if so, where? Thanks.

If you'll need an ice axe, it will be over the San Jacinto Range.
If you plan to hitch to Idyllwild via the Pine-to-Palms Highway
then you could ship your ice axe to Idyllwild.  If you plan to
hike down the Devil's slide trail into Idyllwild then you'll need
to get your ice axe earlier, probably from Warner Springs (or
maybe Anza, but most people don't resupply in Anza).

Many people talk about using an ice axe on Fuller Ridge,
which is *after* the Devil's Slide trail into Idyllwild but it seems
to me there are some seriously exposed areas of the trail before you
get to the turn-off into Idyllwild.  In a couple places, the trail
is blasted into the rock face.  I would think that these places
might call for an ice axe also (or an alternate route).

Note, I don't have any personal knowledge of the current snow
conditions or how the trail typically presents itself in a high
snow year, I'm just commenting based on the elevation and profile
of the trail and my one hike over it last year.