[pct-l] RE: Scott Williamson

This was a great article because Scott's story is a great story.  I agree
about the author's writing style.  Unnecessarily arts-fartsy.  After years
of making opening statements to juries as a prosecutor I discovered that
some stories are best told straight out.  Sure, sometimes you need to inject
your sparkling wit and brilliant personality to hold your audience's
interest (explaining the accounting maneuvers of an embezzler), but often
the facts, related simply and chronologically without injecting yourself
into them are jaw dropping enough (brutal murder cunningly executed).
Scott's story is a jaw dropper. To tell such a story well, the storyteller
must disappear into the story.

It makes me wonder.  How many of us hike with these ghosts?  I know I do.
When I am alone on the trail my mind returns again and again to the pleasant
memory of hours spent with each of three friends who died without saying
good bye (one fell into a crevasse on North Sister, one died of a sudden
aneurysm while I was away in the Canadian Rockies and one more or less
inexplicably drowned while kayaking alone).

There is something compelling about these reveries.  We are not completely
at peace with God's timing and we see, in God's grace that surrounds us and
so often saves us from our own foolishness, what seem to us like signs our
lost ones still look out for us.  Trail magic. And we want to respond
somehow.  So we walk 5000 miles or run 300 miles (Dean Karnazes in
Ultramarathon Man) or run through Death Valley in the summer heat (Kirk
Johnson in To the Edge) in their memory, as though we are somehow thanking
them. Maybe we are.

Wayne Kraft