[pct-l] alcohol stoves

On Apr 14, 2005, at 11:19 PM, Bob Bankhead wrote:
> Probably not, but do you really think it wise to present security
> personnel with an unidentified object secreted away in your luggage?
> No way of knowing what action they'd take, but they would certainly
> come looking for you. You and your baggage might easily wind up
> missing the flight while you try to explain AND PROVE to the
> galactically paranoid that it is not a risk.

I've checked alcohol stoves and a pocket rocket
over the last couple of years, no problems.  I usually use a large
duffle bag.  I empty my pack and put it at the bottom and then put
the stuff sacks on top.  It is simple for security folks to open
the duffle and go through the stuff sacks as needed (which they
have done).

I don't think there is any reason to miss a flight or argue/prove
anything about the stoves.  If there is a question politely agree
to leave it behind.  At most airports you can mail items
that security rejects to your home or to your destination.