[pct-l] Re: Skykomish Trail Angel dies..........

In just 12 months, we lose Doug at Old Station, and
Bob in Skykomish.  Both of these men stand out in my
memory from my hike.

Josh, Brent, and I went over to Bob's, more to "pay
respects" than anything.  We'd heard he was a bit of a
grouch, somewhat unfriendly, etc., until Ken and Cindy
told us the opposite.  Turns out he was just a little
hard of hearing.

He seemed happy to see us, and we stayed and talked
for a while.  We weren't over there to solicit a ride,
but he offered, and practically insisted.  It was less
of a "do you need a ride to the trail?" and more of a
"so what time can I get you boys to the trail?" type
of question.

Like Mags, he told us some stories about being
involved with the establishment of the trail on the
ride up, and was completely stunned when we wanted a
picture of him.  He was a really modest man, and after
all he'd done for hikers and the trail, still not sure
why someone would think it appropriate to get a photo
as a memento of having met him.

Iron Chef