[pct-l] Another Baden Powell Bypass option

We hiked section D in March one year with three llamas.  Since they
don't make crampons for llamas, we bypassed from Vincent Gap to Cooper
Canyon, entirely on trail.  Heading northwest from Vincent Gap is the
Manzanita Trail.  It drops directly to South Fork Campgound in 5.3
miles.  At this point you can pick up the South Fork trail and hike back
to the PCT at Islip Saddle, 5.2 miles.  We found the South Fork trail to
be too narrow and loose for stock.  It is a sidecut on a very steep
wall, and a fall would be fatal.  The llamas simply refused to go on
when their packs started to scrape the sidewall.  So we hiked west on
the Punchbowl trail thru Devil's Punchbowl, then south on the Burkhardt
trail where we rejoined the PCT in Cooper Canyon. (14.3 miles)
This was a beautiful, worthy and very safe detour.  We found several
water supplies along the way.  We camped at a very nice site in Holcomb
Canyon on the east side of Devils Punchbowl.  When we did this a few
years ago, the trails were all in excellent condition.  Who knows what
they are like now after all the storms of winter.
You can find this whole detour very well outlined on the Tom Harrison
map called "Angeles High Country."
llamalady