[pct-l] Trail Fest

It's Monday at 5pm, and I just got home from the Trail Fest in Portland.
Whew!  It's good to be home.  I was supposed to leave Portland at 11am
Sunday, but a snowstorm in Denver closed the airport---where I was
supposed to change planes.  That left me stuck in Portland for another
day until I could leave early this morning and fly to Kansas City via
Phoenix --- a little out of the way, but at least I'm home.

So I get here in KC, go to the parking place, and try to turn on my car.
NOTHING.  It was then that I remembered that I drove through fog on
the way to the airport Friday morning.  Must have forgotten to turn off
my lights.  AAARRRGGGHHH.  I just want to be HOME!!!

Now that I've had a couple beers, I'm good to go.

Trail Fest was fun.  It was cool to finally put faces with some of the
names I see here on PCT-L all the time.  And it was good to see old
friends again --- Jeff & Donna, Squatch, and who can forget MONTE!!!
(Please come to the kickoff Monte!!)

I was hoping to see more thru-hikers at Trail Fest.  It seemed to be
devoid of thru-hikers.  There were a few thru-hikers who live in the
Portland area, but not many who actually traveled to attend the Trail
Fest.  Not sure why that happened.  My guess is that it was pretty
expensive.  $99/night for the special PCT rate at the hotel is a bit
pricy for hiker trash like me (us).  Hopefully, there will be more
reasonably priced accommodations for future Trail Fests.

All in all, it was a fun weekend.  I'm glad I went.  I thought the coolest
part was when everyone gave Pete Fish and his crew a standing ovation
at the awards dinner.  I don't know Pete, but I know what he does, and
to see him recognized that way was pretty special.

Thanks to everyone at the PCTA for putting on a good weekend!

yogi

www.pcthandbook.com