[pct-l] Waiting to Decide...

"I always come away from a solo hike longer than a couple weeks a
changed person."
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This one sentence is your two edged sword, Achilles heal, and personal goal.
Turn it away from what I read as a whispered tone of defeat into a goal to
find
the positives from being one with nature, free to manage your time, set your
daily goals, explore your mind and spirit, and live a herdless trail
lifestyle. I've
been solo hiking since 1976, and have hiked with other hikers, but I prefer
the
pace and peace of solo hiking. Most of my trips are spontaneous, and I'll go
cross
country over a ridge on a whim just to see what's over there. Many of my xc
hikes
are extremely difficult, and I found herds to be an anchor. I've found herd
hiking,
for me, has always been a compromise and distraction from the reasons why I
go into the wilderness. The herd requires a consensus, balancing quirks and
walking
paces, timing, and lastly safety. I find herds to be inheritantly unsafe,
and the risk
level increases. When I solo hike I can  shed my humanness, and surround
myself
with nature and what she has to offer me on each adventure. I sat on the
shore of
Dream lake in the Wind Rivers in 8/1997 for an hour to get away from my
hiker
friend, when he walked over and asked "what I was doin?". I replied, "I'm
seeing
what direction the wind blows in the winter by how the trees have grown".
Call it
Zen, freedom, or whatever; but I always come away from a solo hike a
changed, richer,
and happier person. Herds are easier to find than solo time.  Count yourself
lucky to
have this opportunity in life, they are rare, and a solo hike is one of
life's treasures.