[pct-l] ice or crampons?

If you are going to be at Whitney in late May, I would bring boots and a set of actual crampons, a regular (not ultralight) ice axe, along with an personal locator beacon and standard bits of mountaineering gear.  The fords are going to be entertaining.  If you are planning to go from KM to VVR straight through, I would probably estimate a daily mileage of around 12 or maybe 15 miles per day.  Carry two days or so of extra food.

If you haven't used an ice axe or crampons before, you might want to think about waiting until late June to hit Whitney.  Maybe this is a late April Fools day message?

Suge

Christopher Willett
cwillett@pierce.ctc.edu
www.pierce.ctc.edu/faculty/cwillett